If your fitted wardrobe has already served you for many years, chances are, it has become cluttered and outdated. Fitted wardrobes are a must for any modern home but if it does not compliment your latest home renovation or new furniture, what do you do with it?
Do you want to remove it completely? Do you want a professional to replace it? Do you want to renovate it on your own? Whatever your answers to these questions are, we have one suggestion: it’s time for you to spruce up your old fitted wardrobes!
Nowadays, fitted wardrobes are a major highlight and asset to any bedroom. Careful consideration must be done to incorporate their appearance with the interior design of your bedroom. If you want to give you old fitted wardrobes a new lease of life, here are some practical solutions and makeover tips.
How to build fitted wardrobes
- Prepare your tools and equipment.
- A saw
- Electric drill
- Measuring tape
- Screws of various lengths
- Wood plane
- Select an area in your room where you will build the fitted wardrobes.
- Measure the space correctly.
- Depth – Measure the depth for your interior and allow a minimum of 620mm for both your interior space and the doors
- Height – Measure the height of the wardrobe from top to bottom, where the sliding door would fit
- Width – From left to right, measure across from one side to the other
- Set the dimensions. Decide how wide or how long your wardrobes should be.
- Outline your frames and compartments. Take into consideration the accessories that you will be adding (Front Frame Pack, Side Panel, Standard Column, Single Column of Shelves, Hanging Interior, Drawer Box for Column of Shelves)
- Start sawing the wooden panels according to the measurements you have taken and reinforce the pieces with corner bracket and screws to secure your wardrobe doors, frames and compartments into position.
- After installing the doors, frames and compartments, finish your work by adding the hardware needed (handle, knobs, screws, etc).
If you are simply planning to renovate your outdated fitted wardrobe, here are some ideas that you can work on.
- Repaint your fitted wardrobe – Give it a makeover by choosing a paint colour that will enhance the room’s overall look. Make sure the paint is scentless and won’t peel off easily. Before you start painting, cover the surrounding areas to keep it away from paint drips and splashes.
- Modernise your door handles – Change your old door handles with stylish and elegant ones that will complement the new paint job. You can purchase it online or visit your nearest sliding wardrobe door store.
- Open closet – Sometimes, all you need to do is remove the doors to give your fitted wardrobes the facelift it deserves. The downside of this option is you always need to organise your stuff inside the wardrobe but other than that, it is a great way of updating fitted wardrobe and enhance the beauty of your room.
- Replace the door – If your wardrobe door design is outdated, give it a modern look by replacing it. If you have limited space, you can opt for sliding doors. If not, you can go for hinged doors.
How much are fitted wardrobes
The cost of fitted wardrobes depends on a lot of factors.
- Materials – Do you prefer solid wood or laminate doors?
- Type of doors – Do you want regular or sliding doors?
- Number of doors – Do you want 2, 3, 4, 5 or more doors?
- Additional cost – Do you want hand-painted furniture? Do you want to add a full-length mirror or light coloured glass? Do you want to add a front frame pack, side panel, standard column interior, single column of shelves, hanging interior or drawer box for a column of shelves?
As a rough guide, here’s what Superglide Sliding Door Wardrobes can offer.
- 2 doors – £450.00
- 3 doors – £700.00
- 4 doors – £900.00
- 5 doors – £1150.00
- 2 doors – £580.00
- 3 doors – £870.00
- 4 doors – £1,150.00
- 5 doors – £1,400.00
- 2 doors – £580.00
- 3 doors – £870.00
- 4 doors – £1,150.00
- 5 doors – £1,400.00
- Front Frame Pack – £100.00
- Side Panel – £100.00
- Standard Column Interior Package – £450.00
- Single Column of Shelves – £200.00
- Hanging Interior Package – £220.00
- Drawer Box for Column of Shelves – £50.00
Where to get fitted wardrobes
If you live in Swindon or surrounding areas, you can count on Superglide. They are a sliding door wardrobe and furniture company delivering high-quality bespoke products and services since 1982. The company was founded by Adrian Collins and handed down to his son David. They are a family-run business that you can trust.
Since their products are bespoke, they are made to order with your specific measurements. You can fully customise your wardrobe by using their online wardrobe builder. You can also discuss it with them through phone, email or in person.
Superglide offers different types and styles of wardrobes.
- Full-Length Range – This range consists of 2 or more panels that are ideal for wardrobe mirrors.
- Millenium Range – You can choose different materials and colours for your wardrobe doors widthways.
- Oriental Range – Can offer a similar with the Millenium Range but lengthways.
You can play around with the colours and materials and see what looks best for your bedroom. You can also check out their website gallery and find inspiration from previous clients.
Tips to Revamp Old Wardrobe Doors
A simple and effective way to update an old fitted wardrobe is by adding mirrors to the doors. Mirrors not only create the illusion of a larger space, but they also provide functionality by giving you a full-length view of yourself when getting dressed. Adding mirrors to your wardrobe doors can transform an outdated piece into a modern and stylish addition to any bedroom decor theme without breaking the bank.
There are many types of mirrors available in various shapes and sizes that can be installed on wardrobe doors. You can choose from framed or frameless options, depending on your personal style preference.
Trimmings can give your wardrobe a fresh and modern look without replacing it entirely. Moulding is an excellent choice if you want to add depth and definition to your wardrobe doors. You can choose from various designs and finishes, from simple straight edges to intricate curves and patterns. Beading is another option that adds texture and dimension to flat surfaces. It’s perfect for those who prefer a more traditional or classic style.
Wallpaper may not be the first thing that comes to mind when updating wardrobes, but it’s an easy way to add colour, pattern or texture. You can cover the entire door with wallpaper or just create a feature area by adding it in panels or stripes. Whatever trimming you choose for your fitted wardrobes will depend on your personal taste and style preferences.
Choose a new paint colour
Before selecting a new colour, it’s important to consider the existing colours in your room and how they will complement each other. If you’re unsure about which colour to choose, consider going with a neutral shade like grey or beige. These shades are versatile and can easily blend into any room decor.
To add some personality to your wardrobe, opt for bold colours like navy blue or deep forest green. These colours are stylish yet timeless and pair well with a range of other hues. Another trend that is popular is ombre painting, where one colour gradually fades into another. This technique adds depth and dimensionality to your wardrobe while still being cohesive with the rest of your room decor.
Add vertical space
You can create more storage space by adding extra shelves or compartments that stretch from the bottom of the wardrobe to the top. This will allow you to store more items and keep your wardrobe organised. You could also install hanging racks on either side of the wardrobe for storing clothes, bags and accessories.
Another way to add vertical space is by installing a pegboard or a set of hooks on the back wall of your wardrobe. This will provide you with additional storage options for items like jewellery, belts, hats and scarves. Additionally, this allows you to maximise your available space while still keeping everything accessible.
Replace doors with sliding ones
Sliding wardrobes are an ideal choice, especially if you’re looking for space-saving wardrobes for small rooms and want to create a seamless look. Installing sliding wardrobe doors is perfect if you have limited floor space or if your current wardrobe doors swing out and get in the way.
Sliding doors come in various materials. There are glass, wood and laminate sliding wardrobe doors. With the right choice of materials and installation expertise from professionals, you’ll have a modernised wardrobe that will serve you well for many years to come.
How to Order Your Bespoke Sliding Wardrobe Doors from Superglide
- Measure the height and width of the wardrobe opening.
- Choose the number of doors you require.
- Enter the measurements on www.superglidewardrobes.co.uk.
- Select the style of the door which will best compliment your space.
- Select the panel style and click ‘Add To Basket’.
- Choose accessories to compliment your doors.
- Go to your basket and click Proceed to check out and our team will receive your order.